This post is part of a series of 11 posts in which we’re sharing the syllabi for all 11 courses in the Instructional Technology and Digital Media Literacy (IT&DML) program. Please keep in mind the materials we’re sharing here are the documents and specifics as approved when we initially launched the program. The “real” implementation of these courses is a bit different as we embrace new digital texts and tools.
Media, Technology, & Learning Across the Curriculum
This course is the third in a series of 11 courses in the sequence of courses. This course focuses on opportunities for instruction in the use of digital texts and tools. Course specifics are available below.
Educational technology is moving classroom instruction beyond its oral and print-based tradition to embrace online and electronic texts as well as multimedia. ICT tools have created opportunities for reading, writing and collaborating beyond the traditional classroom walls and practices. However with all of these changes taking place, there is debate as to how to provide authentic and effective educative experiences for students. In this course, students will investigate the organizing and integrating of media in school curricula and other educational programs. They will explore theories of media technology and identify instructional purposes and defining roles for technologies and media in learning and teaching, as well as examine and compare curricular designs for their concordance with the procedures of technology in education. Students will also investigate current school criteria for selection and evaluation of materials.
- Students will be able to define literacy in various media contexts.
- Students will be able to articulate how media are reshaped, or remixed as they are applied to school curricula.
- Students will be able to discuss and debate how digital epistemologies shape school curricula, teaching, and student learning.
- What is the relationship between technology, motivation, and learning?
- How can technology affect the experience of learning?
- In what ways can teachers create educative and compelling experiences for their students with technology?
The full version of the syllabus is embedded below. This version of the syllabus is an artifact and does not contain all of the edits and revisions to the syllabus we use each semester for the class.
Image CC by opensourceway